Sugar Free Apple Cake
Created by Eat Pray Workout
This refined sugar free apple cake is made with layers of apple intermixed with a layer of a coconut flour batter and topped with cinnamon. I’m trying to think of things to use up my expensive bag of coconut flour and this was today’s creation (more ideas for using your coconut flour can be found below). It is so delicious! It it served best with a custard, apple puree or a berry coulis
5 apples, peeled cored and thinly sliced
1 & ⅓ tablespoon of cinnamon
½ cup coconut flour
¼ teaspoon of baking powder
½ cup coconut oil
½ teaspoon vanilla paste
⅛ teaspoon nutmug
¼ cup stevia
optional: 2 tablespoons of honey
2 tablespoons coconut oil (one for greasing pan and one for topping)
½ teaspoon cinnamon to sprinkle on top
1 tsp Kakadu Plum Powder
Serve with custard, berry coulis or apple puree
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (fan forced, or 180°C normal oven)
- Whisk eggs until fluffy then continue to whisk in the following ingredients: cinnamon, coconut flour, oil, vanilla, baking powder, nutmeg, stevia and honey (if desired, I didn't use but it may help bind it together a bit better).
- Grease a round cake tin with coconut oil.
- Spread ⅓ of cake batter on the base of the tin and place a layer of overlaid apple slices on top.
- Repeat the above step 3 times and for the final layer carefully overlay apple slices in circular rows (as shown in the pictures).
- Brush the top of the apples with coconut oil.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Check at 30 minutes as ovens can vary.
- Let the cake cool for 10-15 minutes then run a knife around the edge to loosen it.
- Lay greaseproof paper on the cooling rack and tip onto the rack. This will leave the top of the cake facing down so add another piece of greaseproof paper to the base of the cake (which is currently facing up), bring together the edges of both papers and holding the paper firmly carefully flip over.
- Top with Kakadu Plum Powder and serve with custard, berry coulis or apple puree.
Note: this original recipe did not contain kakadu plum. We have added this ingredient to our recipe and creation